Your place(s) to see, be seen, meet, spend loot, and live to tell all the stories
People who must see their peers in the science-fiction media
sphere gather at these events known as conventions--or cons for short. Although unfairly
mocked by the ridiculous, unbelieving majority/ mainstream public, these forums in places near and far--usually for a
fee--helps you get out and meet other fans.
- expect people running around in role-playing games
- meet memorable individuals (annoying or cool)
- see folks in uniform/costume replicas (be nice to the people in plastic,
felt, cotton tees and/or duct tape!)
- hook up with a lady/man--not exactly guaranteed
- dodge or indulge eager club recruiters at tables
- make new friends, con acquaintances or even a spouse
- there's a chance you may chat or party with a celebrity
from a favorite science-fiction television show and/or movie
See these links for the conventions in the Florida and the southeast USA.
Some firms or groups also offer cruises with sci-fi/fantasy celebrities and another social venue on the high seas.